Sustainable Laws, Requirements and Information
TVA, along with all other Federal agencies, is required by the Energy Policy Act (EPAct05) and Presidential Executive Order (E.O.) 13423 to apply sustainable design principles to the design of new buildings and major renovations. In addition, TVA, along with 21 other Federal agencies, signed the "Federal Leadership in High Performance and Sustainable Buildings Memorandum of Understanding," which commits TVA to making sure all its new buildings and major renovations of existing buildings incorporate sustainable principles. Specifically TVA must:
- Apply sustainable design principles to the siting and design of all new buildings, including water efficiency. This involves incorporating daylighting, passive solar heating, and materials that have good environmental qualities (are nontoxic, have recycled content, and/or can be recycled) into new and renovated buildings.
- Ensure that new construction and major renovation of agency buildings comply with the Guiding Principles for Federal Leadership in High Performance and Sustainable Buildings set forth in the Federal Leadership in High Performance and Sustainable Buildings Memorandum of Understanding (2006).
- Ensure that 15 percent of TVA’s standard and industrial building inventory incorporates the sustainable practices in the Guiding Principles by the end of FY 2015. Each year agencies must enter one sustainable building into the High Performance Federal Buildings Database.
- Ensure that new construction, build-to-suit leased buildings and major building renovations comply with the Guiding Principles for Federal Leadership in High Performance and Sustainable Buildings.
- The head of each agency
shall implement sustainable practices covering:
- Energy Efficiency
- Greenhouse gas reduction
- Petroleum reduction
- Renewable energy use
- Bioenergy use
- Water conservation
- Pollution and waste prevention
- Vehicle fleet management
- Reduction or elimination of toxic chemicals
- High performance buildings
- High performance building leases
- High performance building O&M
- Electronic equipment management
Additional requirements are listed at these links:
Executive Order 13423 - Strengthening Federal Environmental, Energy, and Transportation Management
TVA Guide coming soon
Instructions For Implementing Executive Order 13423
Processes to incorporate the above requirements:
TVA Agency Wide "Internal Energy Efficiency Process" - incorporates energy efficiency, water efficiency, and sustainability into its buildings and operations.
TVA "Resource Efficient Building Design Process" - incorporates energy efficiency, water efficiency, and sustainability into its building renovation and new construction.
TVA Sustainable Architecture Check List - a list of required and optional sustainable technologies that should be incorporated into all TVA building renovation and new construction.
TVA Sustainable Architecture Guideline - a description and guide for applying technologies listed in the TVA Sustainable Architecture Check List.
TVA Simple Guide to Sustainability - a short summary of what you can do to promote sustainability both inside and outside TVA.