Information for College Students
You can kick off your career in a progressive, energized environment that will place a high value on your talents and ideas. An internship or co-op experience at TVA is where it all begins.
Graduating students/college recruits
TVA periodically posts positions for students who are about to graduate or have graduated in the past 48 months. OPEIU college recruits need to have graduated within the last 12 months. These are called college recruit positions. The student must have the required degree to be considered, and this information is included with other details in the job posting. See Search for Jobs to locate any available college recruit openings.
Internships and co-op positions
TVA employs interns and co-op students for fall, spring, and summer work terms and winter holiday breaks. Co-op students generally commit to work more than one term and alternate school and work terms based on a schedule developed by TVA and the student’s school. An intern may be hired for one or more terms based on business needs and the student’s performance. TVA's internship and co-op programs serve as a recruiting source for potential permanent employees.
In order to meet the eligibility criteria for TVA’s Intern/Co-op Program, the student must:
- Attend school full-time as defined by the attending college
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have at least a 2.75 cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale
- Be a U.S. citizen or meet the requirements outlined in TVA’s Citizenship Policy
- Demonstrate fitness for duty, which includes a drug screen.
The student may not:
- Be the son or daughter, stepson or stepdaughter, husband or wife of an officer of the company (vice president and above)
- Have a supervisory or working relationship with a relative
- Have a supervisory or administrative relationship with a relative or work where there is an appearance of favoritism.
In addition to the above, a two-year intern/co-op candidate must:
- Be enrolled in an accredited two-year technical or community college
- Have completed two semesters of study at the college.
In addition to the above, a four-year intern/co-op candidate must:
- Be enrolled in an accredited four-year college or university
- Have completed the freshman year at the college or university.
The following benefits are provided for internship and co-op positions:
- Compensation: Students are paid a competitive hourly rate. Rates are based on class standing (graduate student, senior, junior, sophomore).
- Wellness program: Students are eligible for TVA’s Live Well Program. With 37 fitness centers and other programs such as health-risk screenings, TVA demonstrates its commitment to the health and well-being of its employees.
- Free parking: Students working at plant sites and many other locations have free parking available to them. Students working in metropolitan areas such as Chattanooga, Knoxville, Memphis, and Washington, D.C., are reimbursed for parking to a specific limit.
- Travel reimbursement: Students are paid in accordance with TVA’s standard travel policies for expenses incurred in traveling to locations other than the assigned work station when assigned work duties demand it.
- Housing assistance: Some intern/co-op students may be eligible for housing assistance if they meet the following conditions: TVA hiring location (official work station) is more than 50 miles from their permanent home address and temporary school address and the student is working full-time (40 hours per week). Housing assistance rates are reviewed on an annual basis. Housing assistance is paid per term provided the student meets eligibility criteria.
How to apply
You must meet the eligibility requirements for the intern/co-op program in order to be considered. You can submit your resume and transcripts to: InternProgram@tva.gov
TVA is an Equal Opportunity employer and complies with all applicable laws and regulations regarding equal employment opportunities.
Non-U.S. residents should read TVA's Citizenship Policy.
Individuals interested in claiming veterans’ preference should read the Information for Claiming Veterans’ Preference.