Overview of TVA’s Environmental Management System
As a regional development agency and the nation’s largest public power provider, TVA is committed to protecting the environmental resources of the Tennessee Valley. To help guide it in that effort, TVA has set up an Environmental Management System, or EMS, which provides:
- A set of processes based on best practices to help TVA meet the commitments expressed in its Environmental Policy and Principles
- A way to standardize environmental practices
- A means for continuous improvement
- A tool for reducing environmental risk.
TVA’s implementation of the EMS has provided some important benefits:
- Improved environmental performance
- Enhanced regulatory compliance
- Better environmental cost management
- Conservation of materials and energy
- More innovative solutions to environmental issues
- A competitive advantage.