Environmental Excellence Awards – 2004
Through its annual Environmental Excellence Awards, TVA recognizes employees and teams that have shown outstanding leadership in fulfilling TVAs environmental policies and principles. Here are the winners for 2004.
- Integrate responsible environmental practices into business operations by establishing goals, measuring progress, and reporting on performance through a comprehensive environmental management system.
- Factor environmental considerations into business decisions.
- Train TVA employees in their environmental responsibilities, expect them to use effective environmental processes, and hold them accountable for their performance.
- Comply with environmental laws and regulations.
- Assess the effects of TVA operations on the environment.
- Operate with a goal of continuous improvement.
Environmental Protection and Stewardship
- Manage the competing demands on the river system and Valley resources by optimizing their value to diverse stakeholder interests.
- Practice responsible environmental stewardship of the Valley’s natural resources.
- Encourage our customers, suppliers, and partners to do the same.
Pollution Prevention and Control
Minimize the effects of our operations on the environment through a combination of:
- Demand-side management
- Source reduction
- Recycling and reuse
- Pollution control
- Build partnerships through effective two-way communications with our stakeholders and customers.
- Solicit and respond to public input that enables regional influence over regional resources.
Innovation and Technology Development
- Use our integrated power system as a living laboratory to showcase energy innovations and solutions.
- Develop technologies and expertise to serve the public good by finding new and better solutions for environmental protection.