TVA Traffic Alert
TVA To Close County Road 88 During Bear Creek Health Check
February 3, 2014
HODGES, Ala. – The Tennessee Valley Authority will be conducting a health check of Bear Creek Dam that will require the extended closing of a south-bound lane on County Road 88 in Franklin County and temporary closures of all lanes for shorter periods.
The south-bound lane closure will last approximately three months starting the week of Feb. 10. The closure area will include the roadway across Little Bear Creek Dam.
TVA is conducting geotechnical evaluations, also known as health checks, of all 49 dams in its system, including Bear Creek. TVA’s dams are safe, and the health check is part of a continuous improvement program to make sure TVA’s dams meet today’s stringent industry safety standards.
The following traffic adjustments will be made during the Bear Creek health check:
- The south-bound lane within this area will be closed throughout the duration of the project.
- Temporary traffic signals will be in place on both ends of the closure zone to allow traffic to move across the dam (one direction at a time).
- Some instances will require a complete closing of the road (both north-bound and south-bound lanes) to move equipment; TVA anticipates these closures will occur on four days beginning on or about Feb. 25 and last 4 to 8 hours each time.
- A reduced speed limit of 25 miles per hour will be enforced within the closure zone
- Motorists are urged to watch for workers and equipment, be cautious, and drive slowly through the work zone.
The Tennessee Valley Authority is a corporate agency of the United States that provides electricity for business customers and local power distributors serving 9 million people in parts of seven southeastern states. TVA receives no taxpayer funding, deriving virtually all of its revenues from sales of electricity. In addition to operating and investing its revenues in its electric system, TVA provides flood control, navigation and land management for the Tennessee River system and assists local power companies and state and local governments with economic development and job creation.
Kristine Cooper, Huntsville, 256-430-4837
TVA Public Relations, Knoxville, (865) 632-6000