TVA in Mississippi
Fiscal Year 2013 (October 2012 – September 2013)
- In fiscal year 2013, TVA sold over 11 billion kilowatt-hours of electricity to 14 municipal and 14 cooperatively owned utilities that distribute TVA power in Mississippi.
- Mississippi is home to seven directly served customers of TVA that purchased over 4.5 billion kilowatt-hours of electricity in 2013.
- TVA’s power revenues in Mississippi totaled to more than $1 billion in fiscal year 2013, or about 9 percent of all TVA operating revenues.
- These local utilities are located in 36 Mississippi counties and served more than 334,000 households with sales of 4.9 billion kilowatt-hours in 2013.
- Local power companies distributed TVA power to more than 83,000 commercial and industrial customers in Mississippi, with sales of about 5.7 billion kilowatt-hours. Additionally, these local power companies in Mississippi sold approximately 218 million kilowatt-hours to outdoor lighting customers.
- Municipal and cooperatively owned utilities sell TVA electricity in the counties of Alcorn, Attala, Benton, Calhoun, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Clay, De Soto, Grenada, Itawamba, Kemper, Lafayette, Leake, Lee, Lowndes, Marshall, Monroe, Neshoba, Newton, Noxubee, Oktibbeha, Panola, Pontotoc, Prentiss, Quitman, Rankin, Scott, Tallahatchie, Tate, Tippah, Tishomingo, Tunica, Union, Webster, Winston and Yalobusha.
- The TVA service area in Mississippi covers 15,551 square miles, including 421 square miles of watershed management. This represents about 18 percent of TVA’s territory and about a third of Mississippi.
Power Generation and Transmission
- TVA has four combustion turbine sites in Mississippi. The facilities at Caledonia, Magnolia and Southaven have combined cycle combustion turbines. At the fourth site, Kemper, a simple cycle combustion turbine produces power. Caledonia and Southaven each have three units that can generate more than 800 megawatts of peaking power per site. Kemper has four units with a total generating capacity of 340 megawatts.
- As part of TVA’s vision to lead the nation in low-cost and cleaner energy by 2020, TVA purchased the Magnolia Combined Cycle Gas Plant in northern Mississippi. The three-unit natural gas-fired plant is located on a 374 acre site with the capacity of 968 megawatts, which makes it TVA’s largest combined cycle gas plant.
- TVA operates two solar facilities in Mississippi, a 22-kilowatt site on the Oxford campus of the University of Mississippi and a 17-kilowatt site at Mississippi State University in Starkville.
- TVA owns or maintains 81 substations and switchyards and 2,051 miles of transmission line in Mississippi.
Land and Water Stewardship
- Part of Pickwick Reservoir, including 90 miles of public shoreline, is located in the northeastern portion of Mississippi and provides camping, fishing, boating, swimming and other recreational opportunities. TVA maintains two stream access sites in the state.
- TVA manages recreational, natural and cultural resources on more than 1,700 acres of public land in Mississippi and partners with state, local and regional stakeholders to improve water quality, shoreline conditions, recreation and biodiversity.
- About 200 million gallons of water per day are diverted from the Tennessee River to the Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway to help support navigation and recreation, as well as protect aquatic habitat in Mississippi.
- TVA operates Pickwick Dam and Reservoir as part of an integrated multi-purpose reservoir system to provide numerous stakeholders a variety of benefits which can include: navigation, flood risk reduction, low-cost hydropower, water supply, water quality, and recreational opportunities.
- One municipality in Mississippi draws water from the Tennessee River System. Water also is drawn for irrigation.
Other TVA Operations
- Mississippi households had more than 1.3 million kilowatt-hours of electric energy efficiency savings from the completion of nearly 870 In-Home Energy Evaluations by TVA-certified evaluators and approximately 237 do-it-yourself home energy evaluations taken online or by paper survey.
- There are 281 TVA employees who live in Mississippi.
- Mississippi is home to 377 TVA retirees and their families.
Tax Equivalent Payments
- TVA paid $38.7 million in lieu of taxes to Mississippi in 2013, based on power sales and power property values in the state.
- TVA works with local power companies, directly served customers, and regional, state and community organizations to create economic development opportunities in the TVA region. Economic development focuses on attracting and retaining jobs, capital investment, and helping communities prepare for growth. During fiscal year 2013, 3,950 jobs were created or retained in Mississippi and $593 million was invested.
- In fiscal year 2013, TVA purchased more than $14 million in nonfuel materials and services from Mississippi vendors.