Recreation on Undeveloped TVA Public Lands
TVA owns and manages approximately 293,000 acres of land Valley-wide. Of this total, about 229,000 acres are available for dispersed, or informal, recreation, which is recreation that occurs away from developed sites with modern facilities. Popular dispersed recreation activities include hunting, camping, hiking, birdwatching, and mountain biking.
The following regulations apply to the use of undeveloped TVA lands, unless otherwise posted:
- Camping stays are limited to a maximum of 14 days within any 30-day period. After 14 days, campers must move at least one river mile before reestablishing a campsite.
- Unattended camping vehicles and equipment may not be left overnight.
- Consumption of alcohol on undeveloped TVA land is governed by local ordinances unless otherwise posted.
- Cutting, damaging, pulling up, or driving nails into trees, shrubs, or other vegetation is prohibited.
- Hanging lanterns on trees is prohibited (the heat from a lantern will eventually kill a tree).
- Leaving trash or litter on TVA property is prohibited.
- Recreational use of motorized vehicles on undeveloped TVA land, including within reservoir drawdown zones, is prohibited.
- Campfires must be completely extinguished before leaving the area.
- The operation or use of any noise-producing device in such a manner as to unreasonably disturb, annoy, or endanger others is prohibited.
- The excavation, removal, damage, alteration, or defacement of archaeological resources is a felony offense prohibited by federal law.
- Hunting and fishing are permitted in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. Unless posted otherwise, hunting is prohibited on TVA dam reservations; power plant reservations; and power substations. Hunting is also prohibited in developed recreation areas, such as campgrounds and day-use areas; and wildlife sanctuaries.
- Unless otherwise posted, possession and use of firearms and other weapons is permissible subject to all applicable state regulations on undeveloped lands.
To the extent permitted by law, TVA disclaims liability for any injury to any person or property, or loss of life or property, related to use of TVA land for recreation activities.