New Report Spotlights TVA’s Mission of Service
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – The Tennessee Valley Authority announced Monday it has published its first Sustainability Report, providing a comprehensive look at the utility’s work to build strong partnerships and a more sustainable future for the region’s 10 million residents.
“Community partnerships are fundamental to the work we do, and this report reflects our commitment to leadership and innovation in communities across the region,” said Jeff Lyash, TVA President and CEO. “We are continuing TVA’s core mission of service as we drive progress while effectively addressing socioeconomic and environmental concerns.”
The report offers the public a more transparent, accessible look at the impact of TVA’s everyday activities. It also aggregates information from two other sustainability-related documents – the Federal Sustainability Report and Implementation Plan, and the Environmental, Social, and Governance Sustainability Report, a utility-focused and investor-driven reporting template.
The report highlights TVA’s 2019 performance, including these accomplishments:
- Achieved its 20th consecutive year of 99.999 percent power reliability
- Reduced carbon emissions 55 percent from 2005 levels (and on path to reach 60% in 2020)
- Focused on energy affordability with rates better than 70% of the top 100 utilities in the nation
- Ranked top among peers for employee safety
- Managed the Tennessee River system to avoid $1.6 billion in flood damage
- Supported Valley businesses by purchasing $2 billion in products and services
- Ranked as a top 10 utility in the nation for economic development and job creation
- Provided environment education programs to more than 10,000 students
- Supported more than 340 stewardship projects to enhance natural resources and recreation
“As the largest public power utility in the country, it is important for TVA to share its sustainability and community work to protect and preserve our Valley’s resources today and for generations to come,” said Rebecca Tolene, TVA chief sustainability officer. “Our 2019 Sustainability Report serves as a baseline for our annual corporate sustainability reporting. As our sustainability reporting program matures, we will continue to work with stakeholders and communities to identify and achieve their sustainability objectives.”
TVA’s full report is available at: www.tva.com/sustainabilityreport
The Tennessee Valley Authority is a corporate agency of the United States that provides electricity for business customers and local power companies serving nearly 10 million people in parts of seven southeastern states. TVA receives no taxpayer funding, deriving virtually all of its revenues from sales of electricity. In addition to operating and investing its revenues in its electric system, TVA provides flood control, navigation and land management for the Tennessee River system, and assists local power companies and state and local governments with economic development and job creation.