Claiming Veteran Preference

You served our country, now come serve the Valley. At TVA, we are committed to hiring our nation’s heroes. We proudly provide opportunities for our veterans and their spouses to access careers. If you are a military veteran or are a spouse, widow, widower or mother of a military veteran, we want to encourage you to claim a Veteran Preference. We offer this as part of our commitment.

To claim the Veteran Preference, TVA requests documentation that you must provide by the closing date of your desired job position:

  • If you are or were on active duty:

    Provide proof of active duty through a campaign badge or expeditionary medal (documented on your Form DD-214, Member 4 and letters from the Department of Veterans Affairs). If you currently lack this proof, provide alternate documentation such as separation orders or a letter from your commander that certifies you are expected to be honorably discharged within 120 days.
  • If you’re on military disability:

    Submit a letter (dated 1991 or later) from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs that documents your current overall combined percentage disability rating.
  • If you’re a spouse, widow, widower or mother of a veteran:

    In addition to the required documentation for active duty, disabled or deceased veterans, you’ll also need to fill out the Veteran Status Information form (TVA Form 3595) and submit it by the closing date of the job position.

In rare cases (such as a recent military discharge), we do allow requests for extension (TVA Form 17900).

When you email your documents, make sure you:

  • Scan and attach all documents including:
    • Form DD-214, Member 4
    • Letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs with overall combined rating
    • Requests for Extension—TVA 17900
    • Veteran Status Information forms—TVA 3595
  • Send the email to
  • Indicate the job number of the position(s) in the subject line of your email.

If you cannot email your documents, print them out and send your letter and documents to:

Deployment & Support
1101 Market Street, BR 3A
Chattanooga TN, 37402.

Indicate the job number of the position(s) in the subject line of your letter.

Once you submit your military documents, we keep them on file and use them for all future positions to which you apply. If you submitted your veteran documents when you applied for a position before December 27, 2013, without applying for another position since that date, you need to submit your documents again.

Take the Next Step

Need a form? Access  TVA Form 17900 and  TVA Form 3595.

Contact Us

Send your email with all related documentation to or send your printed documents to:

Deployment & Support
1101 Market Street, BR 3A
Chattanooga TN, 37402

Did you know?

In 2012, TVA received the annual Freedom Award—the highest recognition given by the U.S. Government to employers for their outstanding support of employees serving in the Guard and Reserve.


  • TVA Career Gateway: Start searching for TVA careers now.
  • Troops Energy Jobs: This website helps you connect your military experience to skills needed for a career in the energy industry. It also locates training and employers in your area.
  • Tennessee STEM Innovation Network: Through this program, we offer military service members the opportunity to complete an engineering degree in Tennessee.
  • U.S. Army Partnership for Youth SuccessOur partnership with the U.S. Army means we guarantee future soldiers or ROTC cadets job interviews and possible employment with TVA.
  • Helmets to HardhatsThis website helps members of the Armed Forces find careers in the construction industry.