Bellefonte Property Disposal
Jackson County, Alabama
On June 30, 2017, TVA issued a Final Environmental Assessment (EA) and Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI) for completion of the sale of the BLN Property in Jackson County, Alabama.
In May 2016, the TVA Board of Directors authorized the sale of the Bellefonte Nuclear Plant (BLN) Property. The BLN Property occupies approximately 1,400 acres of the approximately 1,600 acre BLN Reservation located near the Town of Hollywood in Jackson County, Alabama. The Board directed TVA staff to update and supplement the existing environmental review record in light of the purchaser’s proposed use of the site and conditioned completion of the sale on TVA’s Chief Executive Officer’s determination that the environmental review satisfactorily addressed potential environmental impacts.
The BLN Property was auctioned on November 14, 2016, and Nuclear Development, LLC, was the successful bidder. Nuclear Development plans to complete and operate the two unfinished nuclear units at the BLN Property. The EA presents the results of TVA’s review and update of the existing environmental record and provides an opportunity for public input into the process.
TVA evaluated two alternatives: (A) to take no action and (B) complete the sale of the BLN Property. TVA’s preferred alternative is Alternative B, Completion of the Sale of the BLN Property. TVA has concluded Alternative B would not be a major federal action significantly affecting the environment. Therefore, TVA has issued the FONSI.
The Draft EA was released for review on March 31, 2017 and comments were accepted for 30 days. A summary of comments along with TVA’s responses are included in Appendix B of the Final EA.
Previous Bellefonte Environmental Reviews
- Final Environmental Statement, Bellefonte Nuclear Plant Units 1 and 2 (TVA 1974 FES)
- Final Environmental Statement Related to Construction of Bellefonte Nuclear Plant Units 1 and 2, Docket Nos. 50-438 and 50-439 (Atomic Energy Commission 1974 FES)
- Final Environmental Impact Statement for the Bellefonte Conversion Project (1997 FEIS)
- Guntersville Reservoir Land Management Plan (RLMP), Jackson and Marshall Counties, Alabama, and Marion County, Tennessee (2001)
- Final Environmental Assessment Bellefonte Nuclear Plant Redress, Jackson County, Alabama (2006 FEA)
- Bellefonte Nuclear Plant Units 3 & 4, COL Application Part 3, Environmental Report, Revision 1 (2008)
- Activities at Bellefonte Nuclear Plant Related to Future Site Use, Jackson County, Alabama (2008)
- Bellefonte Nuclear Plant Units 3 & 4, COL Application Part 2, Final Safety Analysis Report, Revision 1 (2009)
- Final Supplemental EIS for a Single Nuclear Unit at the Bellefonte Plant Site (2010)
- Bellefonte Site Utility Improvements Final Environmental Assessment (2014)
- Integrated Resource Plan (2015)
More information on this environmental review can be obtained from:
Amy B. Henry
400 W. Summit Hill Drive
Knoxville, TN 37902