Preserving Wildlife Habitat
More than 181,000 acres under TVA's management have been set aside for natural resource management—including the enhancement of wildlife habitat.
TVA manages about 60 percent of this land; the other 40 percent is managed by other agencies, such as state wildlife areas or refuges.
Natural Heritage Project
In 1976, to analyze and manage biodiversity on TVA lands and to improve compliance with federal environmental regulations, TVA launched the Natural Heritage Project with the help and support of the Nature Conservancy. The project maintains data on threatened and endangered plant and animal species in TVA's power service area, which includes all of Tennessee and parts of six surrounding states. You can access lists of these species below:
Listing by Classification
To Report Rare Species
If you’d like to report a sighting of a rare species, please download the Rare Species Observation Form, which can be printed out and mailed or faxed to TVA. The form is available in two formats:
Include any available photographs, slides, negatives or digital images. All submitted material will be used as physical documentation of a sighting and, unless otherwise stated, will be assumed to be the property of the Tennessee Valley Authority.
Natural Heritage Project Fieldwork
The project also conducts fieldwork aimed at protecting threatened and endangered species and environmentally sensitive sites. In addition, it maintains databases on geological features, natural areas and other sensitive natural resources. Since its inception, the Natural Heritage Project has provided environmental input on TVA activities that range from transmission-line construction to economic development.
TVA Natural Areas
In managing the publicly owned land in and around its facilities and reservations, TVA has developed a land-use designation system under which 82 sites on 10,700 acres have been classified as TVA Natural Areas. The sites are identified as Habitat Protection Areas, Small Wild Areas, Ecological Study Areas or Wildlife Observation Areas. Their management includes restrictions on activities that might endanger significant natural features.
Public Land Information Center
A single source for answers to your questions about shoreline land use, permitting procedures, water quality, recreation and other issues related to the environment, or to get involved with TVA stewardship activities.